You're well aware of how precious metals can be good for your retirement. Perhaps you've been buying gold and silver for some time now. Or, maybe you’re just getting started on planning and saving for what feels like a far-off retirement. Either way, you’re beginning to realize that there's an angle to your retirement strategy you may have overlooked—a Self-Directed Precious Metals IRA.
A Self-Directed Individual Retirement Account (IRA) functions similarly to a regular IRA, but isn't limited to holding only traditional paper assets. It can hold physical precious metals, as well as alternative assets like real estate, to help you achieve the level of diversification you're comfortable with. Learn more about IRA-approved gold and silver products today, so you can get ready for a stronger financial future tomorrow.
What is IRA-approved gold?
IRA-eligible gold coins, bars and rounds must meet a set of requirements set forth by the Internal Revenue Code in order to be held in a Self-Directed IRA. Most importantly, they must meet a minimum fineness requirement of .995 and be produced by a national government mint or accredited refiner/assayer/manufacturer.
Below is a quick glance at some of the most popular IRA approved gold coins and bars, as well as what makes them unique. Select .995 gold bars and rounds may not be listed. Call 1-844-307-1589 with any questions about IRA eligible gold products.
- American Eagle Bullion Coins, 1 oz. – This gold coin stands as one of the most popular and best-selling bullion coins in the United States. Every coin is minted from gold mined in America, making this coin one that's truly “Made in the USA.” With a fineness of .9167, Gold American Eagle Coins are the only gold coins that are an exception to the purity rule set forth by the Internal Revenue Code.
- American Eagle Proof Coins – With a lower mintage, greater rarity, and solid performance, IRA approved Proof Gold American Eagles offer benefits that go beyond their weight in gold.
- American Buffalo Bullion Coins, 1 oz. – As the nation's first-ever 24-karat gold coin, this IRA approved option offers the highest gold purity that's currently possible.
- Pearl Harbor Coins, 1 oz., 1/10 oz. – Want your retirement portfolio to be as unique as the plans you have for it? Then this exclusive series of 24-karat gold coins is a match for your precious metals IRA. These limited-edition coins offer the highest purity possible and pay homage to a pivotal moment in U.S. history.
- Proof Gold Legacy Eagle Coins, 1 oz., 1/4 oz., 1/10 oz. – Developed under the guidance and expertise of two former Directors of the United States Mint, the Gold Legacy Eagle coin represents the continuation of the themes of unity, strength, and prosperity presented in the original Type 1 Gold American Eagle reverse design. Struck from .9999 pure gold, each coin is official legal tender and available exclusive to U.S. Money Reserve clients.
- Australian Kangaroo/Nugget Coins – This IRA approved gold coin is minted in eight different weight variations, from 1/20 oz. up to 1 kg. The 1 oz. Australian Kangaroo is one of the few IRA-approved coins to feature a design that changes from year to year, bolstering its appeal, rarity, and performance.
- Austrian Philharmonic Coins, 1 oz. – At 37 mm in diameter, this 24-karat IRA approved coin carries the largest diameter in the world for its size and gold purity.
- Canadian Maple Leaf Coins, 1 oz. – The Canadian Maple Leaf is known for being the first bullion coin to ever contain one ounce of .9999 fine gold, the highest purity available for gold coins.
- Perth Mint Bars, 10 oz., 1 oz. – IRA-approved gold bars are a great match for buyers looking for high volume diversification—fast.
What is IRA-approved silver?
IRA-eligible silver coins, bars, and rounds must be produced by a government mint or accredited refiner/assayer/manufacturer and meet a minimum fineness of .999. If you're looking to hold silver in your Self-Directed IRA, some of your choices include:
- American Eagle Bullion Coins, 1 oz. – The Silver American Eagle Coin is an American classic and remains the world's only silver bullion coin that is fully backed by the U.S. government for its silver content, weight, and purity.
- American Eagle Proof Coins – This unique family of IRA approved silver coins can offer benefits that go beyond their weight in silver, including a lower mintage and greater rarity.
- Australian Kookaburra Coins – Like the Australian Gold Kangaroo/Nugget coins, the design of the silver Kookaburras changes on a yearly basis. Silver Kookaburras are minted in four weight denominations—1 oz., 2 oz., 10 oz, and 1 kg—all of which meet the minimum fineness requirements set forth by the Internal Revenue Code.
- Austrian Philharmonic Coins – A silver version of the Gold Philharmonic Coin was first issued in February 2008. Today, it stands as a beautiful complement to its gold counterpart.
- Silver Legacy Eagle Coins, 1 oz. – Available exclusively to U.S. Money Reserve clients, the Silver Legacy Eagle continues the legacy of the original Type 1 Gold American Eagle design in 1 oz. of .999 silver.
- Canadian Maple Leaf Coins – Silver Canadian Maple Leaf Coins remain some of the purest silver coins in the world.
- Johnson Matthey Bars – IRA-approved silver bars are ideal for large scale diversification.
Complete your IRA education with a free Precious Metals IRA Information Kit, courtesy of U.S. Money Reserve. Get yours now and see how precious metals can help you achieve a stronger, more secure retirement.
What's not IRA-approved?
While many gold and silver products are eligible for inclusion in a Self-Directed IRA, not all products are approved. Even so, they can still help protect your financial future when purchased and held separately from your IRA. Examples of unapproved precious metals include:
- Pre-1933 gold
- South African Krugerrand Coins
- Austrian Corona Coins
- Proof Gold American Buffalo Coins
- British Britannia Coins
- United Kingdom Sovereign Coins
- Chinese Panda Coins
- French Napoleon Coins
- Switzerland Vreneli Coins
- Somalia Elephant Coins
- Italian Lira Coins
- Gold and silver you already own
- Certified gold and silver from a third-party grading service
Note that you cannot add gold or silver you already own to a Self-Directed IRA, regardless of whether it is an approved coin or bar and meets all requirements set forth by the Internal Revenue Code. Also, remember that you are not allowed to possess the physical metals while they’re held in the IRA. They must be held at an IRS-approved depository of your choosing. You can visit the depository to see or hold your assets, you just can’t store them at home until it comes time to begin taking distributions.
Call for Free Self-Directed IRA Information
Education is always a great first step, regardless of the venture. Now that you have a basic understanding of which gold and silver assets can be included in your Self-Directed IRA, it's time to keep going! Learn how easy it can be to set up your IRA in five simple steps and call 1-844-307-1589 today to speak with a knowledgeable IRA Account Executive. We're here to help you choose the best IRA approved gold and silver products for your needs.